New here? Introduce yourself!

hello!

Moderator: Ryvvi

hello!

Postby HeeCawRoo » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:52 am

hi! i have been here for a few days now but havent really posted much because i wasnt sure what to say. this is a cute site! i found it by accident when i was looking into what it would take to make an avatar website myself, haha. i used to love sites like this. i spent a lot of time on tinierme if anyone remembers that website.

im a freelance artist/writer and web designer, and i make games in my spare time. im not sure if im allowed to link to my stuff off-site but the website link on my profile has all that if anyones curious. my biggest interests are magical girls, sherlock holmes, and incredibly niche dating sims.

everyone seems so friendly here! happy to be here. :grin:

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 am

Re: hello!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:43 pm

Welcome to Windlyn!

So happy you made a thread in our welcome wagon forum!

I think that there are salutes to tinierme & the original Gaiaonline on Windlyn.

I have fun with all the different items ... thousands I think now ... that we have on Windlyn.

Have you figured out the game threads for getting scores each day & the fishing pond for getting items every 8 hours?

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 1:39 am

Postby HeeCawRoo » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:12 pm

i've been playing the games and doing the fishing pond, though i didn't realize fishing was every 8 hours. ive just been checking back whenever i remember.

i've been having fun so far! i'm not quite sure i'm playing the spelling bee game right though. i can't seem to get a decent score.

Postby (-o-) » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:24 pm

Hello! Welcome to Windlyn!

I used to play Tinierme too! Alright, what's your favourite colour? Who're your favourite magical girls characters or series? How long have you been making games? What do you use to program them? Do you work with other people or do it all yourself?

In spelling bee you're trying to spell the highest point word within the time limit. The letters' point value goes down by one every round until it reaches 0 where they are excluded from the list of usable letters. Tbh, I usually avoid it and play doughnuts or ransacked room instead.

Local time: Sat May 11, 2024 12:39 am

ImageImage
ty Mouse

Postby HeeCawRoo » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:57 pm

thanks for the welcome! my favorite colors are black, white, and purple. my favorite magical girl series growing up were always tokyo mew mew and cardcaptor sakura, so they still hold the top spot in my heart, but as a character my favorite is ahiru from princess tutu.

i started making games when i was 15 in flash, but i've only been posting them publicly for about 3 years. i use ren'py and game maker studio now, mostly. i've had a partner work with me on a couple of them, but most are solo projects.

i also use rpg maker, but most of the stuff i make in that doesn't go public; rpgs take a lot of art and i don't like using the default assets when i can help it.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:49 pm

I am so not good on timed spelling! :strain:

Impressive starting so young! Diana started Windlyn about that age too I think.

Congratulations! I see you have hatched your first pet! :cheer:

Postby HeeCawRoo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:19 am

yeah! i wasn't sure at first if this pet was meant to hatch since it's a rock. but it's so cute.

and thank you so much for the immortality potion!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:55 pm

It was our first pet & will grow to another level!

You can get the blue bear for free from fishing! But it takes the longest to level.

Postby galled » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:58 am

Hello! Welcome to Windlyn! Pleased to meet you!

Your origin story is very similar to Diana's (creator and main caretaker of Windlyn). I had a look at your website and everything is wonderful (everyone is so talented!). Your Butterfly Queen reminds of the old Sierra Online games I used to play. I was not familiar with Itch.io. I'll have to dig around there to get a better understanding of what underlying mechanics everything is based on--just out of curiosity.

Do you/have you done any stand alone games (outside of those of platforms)?

I read a few of your Echoed Refrains and enjoyed them. Quite moving and reflective!

I noticed a few common threads/themes your gravitate to. The best work comes from the heart. :)
Keep it up!

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby Gingerale » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:52 am

You sound like you are putting a lot of hard work & effort into your creative designs, I hope your game design will come to fruition!

I post in the game threads for easy feather currency.

Postby HeeCawRoo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:30 pm

thanks so much for checking out my stuff! and yeah, itch.io is mostly for hosting -- all of the games ive posted there can be downloaded and run on their own, and technically i could post the browser versions anywhere that could handle them -- its just easier to have them all in one place, since itch.io lets people follow or keep track of any games theyre interested in.

Postby Gingerale » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:52 am

I admire the ability of people who can do coding and game coding is a whole other level.

Postby galled » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:16 pm

I see. Do you code from scratch or do you use an interface or engine?

Server Administrator

Postby HeeCawRoo » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:15 am

i use engines, mostly, though most of them are pretty coding heavy. ren'py is based on python and doesnt have an interface, but it does come with a lot of pre-written code to set up, like, save systems and everything. it's meant to be simple enough that someone could make a functional game just by entering dialogue and images, though i usually go more advanced with it.

game maker has its own coding language but it also has a much more dedicated interface to make things easier (and a map editor, for placing images and coded objects.) so both engines cover a lot of the more general aspects.

i have done some programs entirely from scratch while in school, since i was in computer science, but none of my actual games are. my web design work is primarily from scratch, but that's its own thing entirely.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:07 pm

I'm impressed!

Next

Return to Welcome Wagon