Site-wide events run by the Windlyn Team!

[Novalia 2015] Pengwing Breakout!

Re: [Novalia 2015] Pengwing Breakout!

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:00 pm

I really don't know what goes on other sites - I have only been on Neopets, Webkinz, Club Penguin, Tinier me, all of which I rarely interacted with anyone. Played my games, designed my room etc. so I can't speak for other sites.

[+] SPOILER
Windlyn is a personal site, which is two fold personal. One, it belongs to an individual who played with an idea with friends to develop their skills by developing a website. So everything on here is personally done in people's free time. No one gets paid, its all volunteer. Although it can take as many hours as a full time job it is still done on top of a job, school, outside activities.Diana, as she mentions, works late into the night to get these events and new items developed. Sometimes that's in the midst of the pressure of exams. Sometimes she gets help from her friends but quite often not. She seems to be pretty good at responding if you tell her there is a bug.

Mousy has the inside track because she is a personal friend of Diana's and knows the labor involved so she takes it personally for her friend if she hears people complaining.Which a good friend does step up to defend a friend if they feel they are being mistreated.

People "finding" Windlyn though really have no clue to the back story. And most are shocked to realize that Diana is still only in her teens. But this site is her working grounds and it is a continuous work in progress. That is why I loved her 2 year anniversary post on how far the site has come!

It's also a personal sight in that, so far, there is not a real game section - even the game threads are personally managed - so the interaction between members is all personal correspondence. Unfortunately, the tone of something that is written versus spoken can be misinterpreted too. And although I find it can be fun to speculate and make up behind stories or complain about elusive items or pengwings I would feel horrible if I felt that Diana and those who worked on the site felt that it was a slam against them!

The problem with having too many feathers, re: the reason we probably don't always get a lot of feathers for rescuing someone, as what I am assuming, is supply and demand - the more feathers we have the more we want items to buy and since the items are always priced so cheap (one or two posts usually covers the cost of an item) their would be a continual demand to produce more items which is unrealistic. For some of us who are trying to get extra items to use for future members or run game threads with feather prizes, I know I feel like I have to keep my feather count up so I post alot (maybe too much?) and I am thrilled when events go on longer. For those that only like to get one item of each then I can see how they want continuous items. And those that don't like to post, just lurk, get frustrated they may have to post to get more feathers to buy the new items.

It seems like Diana has been good about letting us suggest items but it seems she sometimes has a theme planned behind the release of certain items and as a result does not always develop them in us users timeline and I am sure doesn't want to ruin the surprise and, like she mentioned regarding a forest background, she is still honing her skills and is producing items with in her realm of capabilities. Sure, she could have other members draw designs which maybe one day will happen on a regular bases - and last year Windlyn had an item design contest -but the whole purpose, as is my understanding- of the site, is for Diana to develop her skills. I see that some members are very artistically talented and I would think Diana would be ok with you Private messaging her if you had suggestions for her.

I don't think over all that the members on Windlyn are ungrateful. I think we have our wish lists but I don't see (very many anyway) that are demanding. Maybe we need to be more tactful sometimes though? We see the site as a site and not someones creative child, which maybe we should remember that?

I suppose if we really wanted to help Diana we could donate to the site so she could justify spending more time on it? Or ask her if there is a way we can help her out? Think about it, if you have watched her on line drawing sessions it takes A LOT of time to draw, design, color and layer items so that they work. Then she is also thinking up background stories and planning future events, programming, working out future activities (look at the menu), reading posts and responding to people - another personal touch!- etc.

AKUYI: The wings are meant to be rare and precious. I am surprised that so many are actually able to get extras this event. Past events we were lucky if we got one!

I would think if we are seriously upset over something Pm it out of respect. But make sure we let those working on Windlyn know how much we appreciate the little world they have developed for us! I know I love it!

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 pm

Postby Maro » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:35 pm

oh my i step away for a second and ... ovo;

honestly i really love windlyn, i'm happy with it, i'm just a completionist at heart and as i also run the only actual charity on here i'm glad to be getting so many doubles, just wishing i could have all the items to give out in the future [hence wanting aurora wings + maybe an extra or two of them... eheh..]

knowing how much work goes behind a site [as i've worked on a good few previously myself] and how hard it can be to keep up on when you don't have much time [either through my own experiences or those of people i worked under at the time] i can see how people jump to defend diana and i can also see why diana cannot just constantly produce item after item and feature after feature.

artists are not vending machines afterall , you can't just put in money push a button and expect instant results.

tldr; i really love this place and honestly if i could i would try to help diana or even donate more ;-; i feel bad i can't do more n stuff :distress:

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm

Art by - ciel

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:09 pm

I don't mind long events, I just don't like accumulating a whole lot of items trying to get another item, because then so many items would be on the site and it would be harder to give away because there are so many out there. It gets to a point where I'm a little annoyed with getting multiples without seeing a new item in days (as in an item I haven't gotten yet, not asking for Diana to add more). I know I whined and I probably shouldn't have, but I also felt it to be excessive with two things that drop items for multiple times a day, even though they have a limit. I just got really tired of the event to be completely honest. Like, I want to click on the help buttons to see if I get the wings I'm missing but then I don't because I don't want to add onto the huge pile of extras I've already gathered.

I know that it's not easy for one person to send out many items at a time, and I'm patient with that. I just don't like events that drop items to last for a long time. Other sites who have events run on for a month typically don't drop items so constantly. I can understand some people wanting to get extras to give away, and I'm not asking for more items, I am more or less just wanting a bit of a break of the event and it's hard when I go to a page and a pengwing is blocking a post I'm reading. All I want is to see things settle down completely and all. I'm not expecting anything from Diana, just kinda tired of the event is all.

(Also gonna say that some of my whines were jokes. Like the ones where I complain about getting 2 feathers from saving people and when I whined for not getting the wings yet. Those were jokes, I only mainly whined when I just got tired of the event and want it to end.)

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:33 pm

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Monkey - you can always look at the extra items as a way to help out Maro's charity... :heart: I know personally that I think I bought a lot of extras only to find them dwindle down as new people come on. :distress: I have been so tempted to just buy up people's extras but I don't want to look like I hog them or rob someone else the chance to trade or sell or gift. The best I can do is to just dote out one at a time to make them last and if it looks like no one is buying then ask if I can. :smile:

:heart: I LOVED that we got the pengwings back and were able to do two items with chances at feathers or items. I never complain if I get freeee stuff! :grin_wink:

Postby XoGIZMOoX » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:26 pm

I love that the event is going on so long my other sites only do their events for a few days and most only got a shop that you buy event stuff with the event currency and I do good to even get a few items there because you got to talk to get tokens and the items prices are high in shop so you really don't get many in the short event time if you have a outside life so I really like that this site has FREE DROPS and it lasts longer and PLUS we get shop items too and the CHEAP prices I swear this is the best site I am on by far and I am on almost every site out there, heck most of them if you want say WINGS that will be a CASH price with REAL MONEY of about $5 at least so I like that this one is fair to all because I am poor and other wise could not pay for fancy pixels example gaia online I can't afford squat there ;(

Local time: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 pm

:heart:COME VISIT MY PETS PLEASE :heart: http://windlynonline.com/cgi-bin/forums/pets.php?userid=646ImageImageImage [img]http://i.imgur.com/p30InEq?r.gif[/img

Postby galled » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Just curious MonkeyGirl18 would you rather get no feathers than 2? And would it be better if there were fewer items given out than multiples of some items (you get nothing)? Just wondering if some tweaks like that would be better.

Server Administrator

~Windlyn Daydream by Mouse

Windlyn is so fun,
Windlyn is so grand,
So come on everyone,
All across the land,
Come and join us now,
In this awesome site,
We will show you how,
Talking through the night.
~npixelz

Postby MonkeyGirl18 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Me complaining about the 2 feathers was a joke as I mentioned. I just wanted to point out that some of my whining was a joke.

I'm fine with the amount of items being handed out. I kinda feel like it was just running for a long time for an event like this. But that's just my opinion, really.

Postby galled » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:48 pm

Oh, OK! Perhaps some smiley's would help, but I think I'm getting your humor! :cheeky:

Server Administrator

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:39 am

mind if I point out that rec is also run by one person, Tekton? Loocey controls the art, but nothing else, so in the end all the events, all the minigames, a good 98% of rec is done by one person
Clearly the chain belts are most common, since we all have sixty bazillion :B

hangout|art shop|card shop
BUTT CAPES
I need mah butt capes!
ImageImage

Postby Maro » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:51 am

yeah but if you look at rec all of the art/items is produced by a multitude of people so it's easier for tekton to work on coding and events n stuff if you think about it since he doesn't have the worry of pumping out items on time or a massive amount of them etc etc resting on his shoulders

so how is everyone doing today?

Postby Kitalpha Hart » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:21 am

he still sucks around people. One mod was being stalked on a different site, so she and the other mods all got demodded :|
And you must miss his regular rants about the low item queue

Postby Maro » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:09 am

i tend to try and ignore the vast majority of things from time to time to be honest , i think the item queue is low now because it seems not many designs are either being put into the site or being accepted.. one or the other maybe?

so we have about a week to finish according to the latest announcement right? i'm excited to see which team wins ^^

Postby Akuyi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:32 am

I don't think the winning team is still up for question. xD

Local time: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:33 am

Questing with my trusty steed Oculus in the lands of Vee-Ar.

Postby Lemon Cheesecake » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:47 am

Something else to consider - there is a once Upawn a time shop that will buy back items you don't want - but before you do that PLEASE GIVE US A CHANCE TO BUY THEM FIRST!

Postby Maro » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:02 pm

indeed this is true lemon!

yeah i think it's a moot point on who's going to win now lol

PreviousNext

Return to Events